Monday, February 2, 2009

Chrysanthemum


by Kevin Henkes

*****
Three cheers for Kevin Henkes!! I just adore this author's style. There is not a Kevin Henkes' book that I do not love...and this story is at the top of that list. Chrysanthemum is a little mouse who loves her name...until she starts school and realizes that it is much different than her peers. I like how the author skillfully uses the repetition of certain phrases to tie the story together.

Other favorite books by Kevin Henkes:

Sheila Rae, the Brave
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
Owen (1994 Caldecott Honor)
A Weekend with Wendell
Julius, the Baby of the World
Wemberly Worried
Chester's Way

1 comment:

  1. I'm a current teacher (1st grade, former a literacy teacher) who just discovered you blog! Love it. Kevin Henkes is my favorite author. Don't forget Lilly's Big Day in his mouse book collection and the WONDERFUL Old Bear, A Good Day, Kitten's First Full Moon, and All Alone. They're all stunning!

    ReplyDelete